Tuesday 17 February 2009

Businesses of tomorrow



We are expanding, and taking in strong and capable artillery to get there to give best value to our authors and our ideology. The cornerstones are in place and the goal is in sight. We will let you know all the details soon, but it is still a bit too early to say anything. And yes, for those of you following our blog, it was all decided in Stockholm last week and the troops are marching at full speed.

I see Bombadil as a peaceful, democratic company, so it is interesting that I feel we have the need for artillery, a word that has war-like connotations. But artillery is also used for protection, and I sometimes think we need protection from the old world, the 20th century economic business model which has brought so much grief to so many during the past months. I read a very interesting article by Umair Haque, Director of Havas Media Lab and contributor to Chris Anderson's Long Tail. He wrote that we now have a tectonic global shift. It is not a recession; it is merely that there is no more growth because a structural transformation is needed in the world. I hope I am not misquoting in anyway, but I read it as if he says that there are four pillars of smart growth, four pillars that distinguishes the winner from the loser. Google him and read more if you are interested in economics, or why the world is in the state it is in. Or just read about him if you want to check my facts. Comments are appreciated. Anyway, I am sure there are many more answers, and many more shades of grey, but his reasoning nevertheless fascinates me. He says companies of the future should concentrate on:

1. Outcome, not income. I could not agree more. There needs to be an ideology and a passion. Like our authors and our readers. We do not publish books just to make money, we publish books because we want young people to be heard, and certainly because we want young people to have a choice. And then there is freedom of speech leading to democracy. But it has very little to do with money. Most of my struggles with "the other generation" are that many believe that money should be the driving force, and not a by-product. Of course a business - as well as authors - should make money, but if they only do business - and write books - to make money, then there is no passion and no future. It felt good to read Umair Haque’s reasoning and to have such an acclaimed person write about the need for outcome not income. Bombadil Publishing is now in 17 countries and it is because of young people's ideology and trust in the future that we are there.

2. Connections, not transactions. I really like that one and it fits well with our philosophy. It is essentially about co-creation and collaboration, not about getting one up on the neighbour or competitor. I often get asked how we protect ourselves from the competitors and very blank faces when I say that we open our doors to them. They are welcome in. Collaboration is better, peace not war. Not many of the traditional publishing houses agree, most are protective and believe that if an author is young, the quality is bad. And they say this without even having read one of the books. I used to get so upset, and try to want to convert them. Now I just tell them that the door is open when they want to come in. Might sound condescending, but it is not. I mean it. We would reach our goal much faster if we all cooperated, than if we spent time trying to eliminate each other. So we don't! We don't walk over people - we run around them. Why spend energy where energy should not be spent :-D

3. People not product. How I agree. A product is a good product if the people behind are right. It is not just about products anymore, people are what count and I am so pleased to hear that such a future is alive not just in my mind but in others’ as well. Bombadilians of the world unite! Show your worth!

4. Creativity, not productivity. I like that a lot too. It is about new value and economic creativity. And we have so much creativity, which is great. I have been spending time trying to analyze our growth, mainly to aid it, but also to protect it. And it seems that we are here for the long haul: we are a company of the future. Our new partners are here for the future as well, and they will help protect our growth and our expansion, not start wars against other companies or people. Though mind you, we are starting a revolution, albeit a peaceful one, and we keep our doors open to all who want to join. But we also wish those that don’t, all the best in their worlds.

No comments: