Thursday 19 February 2009

Count on things getting lost

Thursday again, weeks fly fast don't they?
Well, it seems I haven't done much of use this week, but maybe I can just call it winter holiday? Most of yesterday, for example, I spent looking for a control card for the computer. I bought it last year for making a weld metal deposition robot for the moon-mine analogue. It has not turned up after the move, so I spent a lot of time going through the remaining ununpacked boxes. Without success - I must have put it somewhere very safe. Have found the old computer I intend to use, and all other bits and pieces collected for the purpose so far. Still missing is one control card and one stepping motor. Some other stuff I had thought hopelessly lost turned up, though, including my collection of strategic computer games, and my comptometer (see picture). The comptometer is a patented contraption, that is capable of adding 8 digit numbers, it has a movable decimal point, and I believe there's a way of also subtracting 8 digit numbers, though I am not sure how, since the manual was lost before I procured it. I didn't buy it new, you see, but in a rather worn state in a country auction. I bid on a box of miscellanea, but was aggressively overbidden by a man with a passion for a hammer or some other tool also in the box. But as I approached him after his claiming the lot, he unexplicably had no interest in the gem of his find and donated the comptometer to me.
It has been a valuable addition to my office ever since.

No comments: