Tuesday 24 February 2009

Continental explosions, engagements, cream cakes and an unrelated picture


This week - and today was no exception - we have had several howls in the office. Not wolf-like howls, but jubilant, exhilarating, happy screams of, well, exhilaration. We now have a presence on every continent on the globe. I know there are not that many continents, but it was indeed a milestone for us and the number of countries in which we have a presence has risen to 19. There is a map on the website for those of you interested in the updates. However, the reason being on all continents was such an important milestone is that it means that the Bombadil concept has not only been accepted but also appreciated by writers from disparate backgrounds and cultures, making it a universal concept.

There are obviously many differences between the authors but there are so many things that unite these young people, their passions and their dreams and that really pleased me. It also pleases me that they are so talented, motivated and passionate and on a personal note, it pleases me that there is so much to learn from the generation ready to take over running the world. I have a lot of faith that they will make it a wonderful place in which to grown old. Yes, I am not quite old yet (according to my definition though not that of my children), but I look forward to the day, with these many talented young beings at the helm.

Another jubilant cry was when we heard that the Crown Princess was getting married to her Daniel. In my eyes, there is very little more endearing that watching love dance in the eyes of newly engaged couples. My sincere congratulations to them, and I hope I will one day be able to tell them so in person. Sweden is a small place, so it might well happen. Until then, congratulations Victoria and Daniel.

Another jubilant cry was when we realised it was cream cake day. It is the last day before lent, and traditions proclaim that one is allowed to eat copious amounts of cream cake. I only managed one, but it was very good indeed. I could not manage more than one, but neither would I need more than one to make it though lent :-(

Now on to something completely unrelelated to jubilant howls, though I was rather jubilant about it. I just realised that it was Sara who had taken over my kitchen duty because she had forgotten to blog yesterday. I was so busy yesterday that I did not even check (I usually enjoy catching up with my colleagues thoughts by reading their blogs) and today I was very surprised that coffee was made and that the kitchen was spick-and-span. I actually just thought that somebody had taken pity to my workload and done it for me. Regardless of the reason, I am pleased not having had to do it: Thank you Sara.

And in case anybody wonders, the dog is cuddly and lovely! I have a cold, so I cannot comment on the smell.

No comments: