Tuesday 22 September 2009

Getting Rid of Bad Habits




Hi everybody,

I don’t know how many of you have developed the habit of getting up early in the morning and going for morning walk or run. I’m not gonna remind you the benefits as the best is to experience them all by yourself. You would be wondering why I am talking all this?

The story goes like this:
One of my close friends, Siraj found my number from facebook called me yesterday. He lives in Bangalore with another of my friend. His questions: How do you look like now? How about your bicep? Are you still struggling with your six pack abs, what about eight packs? The questions were as if somebody showed me a full size mirror after five years. What to answer? I grinned and said, “I look like a typical family man: Single pack abs and bones beautifully decorated with loose muscles.”
Then came the words you would not expect from a friend who you are speaking with for the first time after five years. Any way, he cut off after reminding me all what I used to be. I quietly opened my old photo album and closely observed myself. I just could not realize how and when I put on these extra kilos. I remember my high school days. I used to run about 35 kilometers thrice a week. My father and I were a good company. Being a soccer player and wrestler, he lived fit most of his life. In college days, I spent most of my time working out at gym. The day I left my hometown, all precious habits were gone.

Last night I made a promise to myself: I will wake up early in the morning and run a few kilometers. Today, I got up. It was painful: changing bad habits are always painful. I ran not more than a kilometer and got completely exhausted. A voice came from behind; “A few hundred meters more” I turned around and saw a man in his 60s. “Come on son you can run more.” And I ran two more kilometers.

I am very happy today. I went against myself, shun a very bad habit and ran to burn calories. The feeling is ecstatic.

Yours,
Alex

No comments: