Friday 12 June 2009

Bombadil has an informal environmental policy. That is to say, we do not brag about it, but we castigate those who leave lights on, turn off the coffee machine when it is not being used (although this is rarely) and publish our books on recycled paper. We also compost the apple cores and orange peel from the fruit bowl in the fika room. I am Composter in Chief, a post that carries many responsibilies (mainly the responsibility of carrying the compost bucket to the compost heap, emptying it, and replacing it under the kitchen sink).

I was happy and fulfilled in my duties until I learned, to my great surprise, that I am in possession of an illegal compost heap. Apparently, Swedish compost heap regulations stipulate that the pile of rotting vegetation must be enclosed, either with a wall, some form of planking, or by locating the composting materials inside a barrel or other preformed container. I have briefly considered enclosing my heap, but I lack the necessary building materials and therefore lie awake a night awaiting the inevitable knock at the door. That is, of course, providing the decomposition police can negotiate the cunningly laid set of banana skin traps in the driveway.

In other news, the Bombadil dog currently smells like a court summons.

No comments: