Tuesday 20 October 2009

Last week: A lot of work, fun and nostalgia

Last week was the busiest week ever with Bombadil Publishing with hundreds of enquiries pouring in. Though I am not surprised at all; if you are running for a cause, people are bound to join you. “Great Job!” “Well Done!” “All the Best” echoed my ears. Youths are so curious to know about what’s going on at our office, our soon to be launched 3D social network and lots and lots of questions about Bombadil authors and books.
Then we celebrated Diwali, the festival of lights and prosperity and now, another merriment- Chhat festival- is in the queue that is widely celebrated in the major regions of India especially in the northern states. My mother gave me a hopeless call, “You aren’t coming this time again?” I regretted not seeing my parents for three years now. Hopefully they come to us next month.
I really miss this festival which is dedicated to the Sun. Chhat is worshipping the rising sun in knee-deep water of Holy Ganges at the dawn as well as the sunset holding a basket containing variety of fresh fruits, dry foods and sweets. Devotees take customary holy dip and begin to chant the Gayatri Mantra. It has great impact on spiritual and physical aspects purifying the truculent mind from all dinginess of evil potent, remedying the earthy suffering of mankind and blessing with health and prosperity.

Women have to follow certain rules like abstaining from eating or consuming water, cooking meal and wearing any stitched cloths for the whole auspicious 24 hours. Women summon the Sun God singing traditional devotional song in chorus. This ritualistic aroma ends with consuming variety of folk dishes including every agricultural, seasonal item and vegetables.
I’ll miss my mother and elder sister on this very auspicious day. I wish I take the entire Bombadil team to my place Bodhgaya, the place where Buddhism was born.
....Alex

No comments: