Tuesday 18 August 2009

August: the festive season begins in India


First of all I apologize for being abscond for almost a month—no writing, nothing. Thanks to Marianne and Sara for reminding me.

Events come and pass by and we tend to forget the nicest moments of our lives. August is such a beautiful month in India: the beginning of festivals and grand celebrations. I really missed my three sisters on 5th of August, the festival of Raksha Bandhan; it’s the occasion when sisters tie Rakhi (a beautifully crafted and decorated thread) on the right wrist of their brothers as a reminder of love and protection.
Brothers vow to take care of their sisters and in return (not a mandatory) offer her gifts and sweets. The festival is a wonderful way of bringing the family closer together. Many women also tie Rakhis on their close friends and neighbors as a sign of caring and harmony in their social lives. This is the day when you receive so many valuable lectures from your sister: a lot of Dos and Don’ts. I love them so much; therefore, I don’t mind listening to them. After all, it’s for my well being.




Then came 8th of August, the day I should have been in Kerala, one of the southern states of India. This is the day when people from across the globe come to witness a historical event called ‘Snake Boat Race’. I had been there just once in the year 2004 with some of my friends and memories are still afresh. 100 to 120 feet long boats and over a hundred rowers look marvelous. Since most of the snake boat races are held during the months of July and September, I’m left with no options other than waiting for the next year.


Finally, 15th of August, the Independence Day: the day every countryman celebrates with pride and enthusiasm. This time, I was not alone. I received so many messages from authors (we call ourselves Bombadilians) and they are not just from India; they are from all continents. Some messages were special greetings and some came along with thought provoking questions such as:
What is the true meaning of independence? How independent are we? Isn’t it also about liberating our mind body and soul? Can we freely express ourselves? Somebody sent me this quote:

“Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks to these young Bombadilians for making my day thoughtful.
...Alex

No comments: