Monday 10 August 2009

"A little less conversation"

A new fresh week, another shining Monday and a new blog post to be written. The theme of today’s Bombadil blog post is communication.

To communicate is to speak and get ones message out. It´s to talk and to get your opinions across. And what else? Listening, in my opinion, communicating is mainly about listening.

Sometimes I find myself hearing what the person I´m talking to is saying, but not listening to what this person is actually saying. This especially occurs when I´m meeting new people for the first time, friends of friends, someone’s new boyfriend/girlfriend etc. The big failure take place when we are being introduced, I am trying so hard to look nice, smile a lot and remembering my own name in order to greet this new person that I completely forget to listen to what they are saying! And suddenly I find myself looking like a fool since I for the love of god can´t remember the bloody name of the person I have just shook hands with! And there I stand with my beard in the mailbox (old Swedish saying, which basically means you have screwed up).

Since I have managed to address the great mystery; why I can not remember names I can now push myself and do some training to get rid of this embarrassing situation once and for all. So instead of thinking "my name is Sara, hello, I´m very pleased to meet you" I am nowadays trying to leave my head blank and not think of anything at all in order to fill my little head with the most crucial information at that very moment; the name of the person, who´s hand I´m squeezing.

The same issue can be found almost anywhere, as soon as someone stops listening and is just hearing (big difference!) what is being said, a problem has been born, the important thing is not to let it grow! So start listening to your surrounding and try your best to communicate with it instead of "just" talking to it. Personally I think it probably would spare a lot of hassle, arguments and misunderstanding.

Over&out
Sara

No comments: