Saturday 1 August 2009

An ice fridge is a nice fridge

Today, I decided to get some work done in the office. I don't normally work on the weekend, but I've been feeling so inspired since I took on my new (and still nameless) creative role that at ten o'clock this morning I made my way towards the office. Then I bumped into Steinar, who announced that it was a wonderful day for kayaking and that we should put the kayaks on top of the car and head out to a lake at the top of Pershyttan. I don't know how a lake gets to be at the top of anywhere, but there it was, and very nice it was too.





I would have put a picture of the lake here, but I didn't take one, so tough. Use your imagination. (Click for larger image)

When we got back, I tried to make it to the office for a second time, before Mattias called me. Consequently, we went to visit his brother to collect a three piece suite that Marianne had bought from them. We met a few people from his family and I acquired this.



It's a Swedish ice fridge from around 1850. The ice goes in the top (I'm not quite sure how it used to work as it had all melted) It is insulated with chalk.



It's currently in a bit of a state as some kind Swede has tacked linoleum to the top, painted it an attractive shade of "old mans' sock brown" and clad the inside with tartan wrapping paper. However, with a little paint stripper and furniture wax it should make a top notch wine cabinet.

It was quite heavy. Well, really heavy. I looked inside it and discovered an antique flat iron hiding in one of the corners. "Aha," I though, 'that will be making it heavy.' Then I looked a little further and found another. And another. And finally a fourth. So what I actually have is a circa 1850 ice fridge, a 1970s mains operated calculator (with retro green on black display, no less!) and four antique flat irons in various states of repair.



Not bad, I'm sure you'll agree!

No comments: